Sundrenched World - Joshua Radin
- The song struck me when I was taking a quick run through the whole album, which probably has some of the best written songs of our time IMO-- there's something very Grey's Anatomy about it. Apparently Stacie Tookey choreographed a piece to this song on SYTYCD S7 with Kent and Allison. I'm not particularly crazy about the piece, especially when they set the stage awash with orange light-- get it, "Sundrenched" World? There are two versions of this song: the dirty one has the F-word somewhere in the middle which, after having listened to the clean version a billion times, makes that particular segment beyond jarring. Or may be I'm just shy and conservative.
The Fear You Won't Fall - Joshua Radin
- Marko from SYTYCD S8 did a solo to this piece in one of the last few episodes, and it was splendid. He really is a beast, and he reminds me that one need not become Mr Fantastics or Miss Elastic Girl to dance contemporary. Just gotta have that beastly core which can sustain a cartwheel for days (which Marko practically did in the Statue item in the top 20 episode). The lyrics are incredible, Radin really is one of the finest musical talent of our time, if he did write all those songs himself.
District Sleep Alone Tonight - The Postal Service
- This song has been stashed in my iTunes for the longest time, and only on one lazy afternoon when I decided to put my iPod on shuffle that I came across this song. There's something in the song that creates a dark atmosphere: something slightly industrial about it, something a tad lyrical, all amounting to a great company in a daydream, while I sat there minding my own business on the bus from Bukit Timah to Kent Ridge.
Nothing Better - The Postal Service
- The beginning of the song makes me want to move-- again it's the atmospheric touch to it that speaks to the body. However, it gets slightly teenybopperish once the person starts singing, but it doesn't make me want to claw my earphones out because of the lyrics: the surgical imagery kinda does it for me, or may be it was because I was doing Grey's Anatomy marathon at that time. May be. No, definitely.
Poison & Wine - The Civil Wars
- Dee Caspary has all the best songs, and his pieces are almost always a success. This song was done on SYTYCD s8 as an ending piece for one of the earlier episodes. I loved the walking in the item: very stylised, very expensive, very Victorian. Jordan and Melanie were a stand-out, but coming back to The Civil Wars: the band comprises two personnels, a girl who looks like Christina Perri and a dude who looks like Johnny Depp. They have some other awesome songs, but this one is definitely a winner.
Sunshine Song - Jason Mraz
- I hate it that I can't get an studio-recorded version of this song: the one I have is the concert version, and for the one good minute and a half all I hear is rabied fans bursting their pulmonary veins out, which is not the most pleasant thing preluding a quiet song, especially when you listen to the track way early in the morning. To me, the lyrics are genius, I can listen to it all day long, anytime. It's one of those pick-me-up songs that makes the world seem slightly more bearable, especially when you have an impending 6-hour session on Monday mornings. Great prescription for psychological health and upkeep.
Arrival Of The Birds - The Cinematic Orchestra
- Koustav introduced me to this song some time ago, and I'm obsessed with it ever since. It's such an incredible piece of music, it makes you feel melancholic, and it makes you wanna move. Then again, the Cinematic Orchestra can do no wrong in my eyes-- great mugging companion for sure. The album "Les Ailes Pourpres: Le Mystere Des Flamants" or "The Crimson Skies: The Mystery Of The Flamingos" is so well done. Check out "Hatching" and "Crimson Skies" ft. Luo Rhodes. Amazing.
What You Are - Jewel
- A piece of country music can never hurt anyone. I chanced upon the song when I saw this Victoria's Secret clip on YouTube. The clip made my day-- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, call me.
Skin - Rihanna
- Somewhat I like how quiet the song is, very different from her-- urgh-- intelligible rant on sexual aberrance or relentless asking of what her name is. Did she forget or something? I'm not so sure about the red hair still, she looks like she's wearing a wig every time I see her, but with a body like that, who cares right?
I Was Here - Beyonce
- I see this song as B's confession-- she really wants to make the statement, and I feel it's very very sincere. I watched her half-hour-long documentary on the new album, and this song went easily up my chart of favorite songs. She's trying to figure things out, and it's nice to see her journey and the hard work that is happening in the background-- it makes you appreciate more what's eventually in the foreground. After the documentary (I forget the title, I blogged about it not too long ago) I actually could sit through "Run The World (Girls)" music video without wanting to barf at the expressions. Nonetheless, may be B should have saved a couple of more dollars: say, by not having the Tofo Tofo dancers flown all the way from some African dessert, because her subsequent music videos are beyond budget-- and I mean this blog has more budget than those videos. B needs some new inspirations for them music videos, or at least a new accountant for budgeting.