Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Hey! It's Calvin doing a recap on Sytycd S4!

Ok, I know it's been a little too long, but S6 is taking its own sweet time, and since I have been needing a dose of at least 4 episodes of Sytycd every day, and thus been re-watching S4 episodes, I cannot help myself but to say a thing or two about S4. As you have probably guessed, I have been having Sytycd S4 marathon (yet I complain that I've no time for my studies), and I am now reminded of how AMAZING the season is.

Three words: PERSONALITY, PERSONALITY, PERSONALITY. The S4 dancers really knew not only how to dance but also how to engage our attention with their tiny and subtle quirkiness (does this word even exist?). A couple of interesting things which I missed last time were: Lil' C's penchant for verbosity, Kherington's outburst saying 'The judges hate me!', and Courtney's amazing personality.

Lil' C came on the show bearing the title of the king of krump, and since Sytycd was on a rampage in educating the world about dance and dance vocabulary (I can't believe I just said that...), the two became a match made in heaven instantly. However, when he came on that panel and made comments about the dance performance, GOODNESS, it was not a pretty sight. It was like putting a primary school kid in a French philosophy class. It was really REALLY painful to watch. He just could not make a decent comment. In addition to his in-the-hood (read:ungrammatical) version of a language which we affectionately know as English, the content of his comment was just simply empty wind. I think only after some time, or perhaps out of humiliation, he started to get the hang of things. But if there is something the king of krump and his dance style have in common, it is the lack of moderation. He was utterly transformed, no, TRANSFIGURED into... shit... how do I put it nicely... A FRENCH SCHOLAR IN A PRIMARY 1 CLASS. Sytycd probably installed an electronic thesaurus with a Wikisearch engine attached to it on his desk which he must have referred to when the dance was going on (i.e. he did not pay attention to the dance), so that he could sound intelligent at the very least. Ironically, he did sound intelligent, but UNintelligibly intelligent. His linguistic capacity grew absurdly and precipitously from that of an 3-year-old to that of 30-year-old English-literature-major Harvard graduate. IT'S ANNOYING!

Okay, I can't believe I just spent 20 minutes just on Lil' C. This is to be revised and to be continued. I gotta do my laundry. Till next time,

Ciao!