So here's the sitch, my left shin has been hurting for some time, but for what reason I had no idea. Then I started to realise that I got the twisting feeling there whenever I do turns, and Cheryl told me that I tended to put my weight on the left leg in my choreography. Prior to this, Fred commented that turning my legs out was some sort of my go-to move when I choreographed. All these made little sense to me then, until...
A Guide To Dealing With Shin Splint (karma: 12) by twinkle_toes__
This article is the bomb, really really! I mean, look at the author's name, you know it's totally legit. However, I couldn't help but to frown just a little bit when I saw the words (karma: 12). Hmm... Anyhoo, thanks to Fred for finding this online article! Here are some revelations:
What are Shin Splints?
Shin Splints is a common term used to refer to shin pain. The kind irish dancers would most often get, an overworked posterior tibialis, is caused by turnout, staying up on toes, impact, and tight muscles, especially in the calves!
Guess, I'm one of these guys.
Great.(Reminiscing own choreo *gulps*)
Rest
This doesn't mean you have to quit dance for a whole month. Taking a week or two off will give your shins time to recover and is well worth the wait! Look for a time in between feiseanna and performance, when your absense won't be the end of the world, and let your teacher know that you'll be gone that week to rest your shins.
(*coughs* *clears throat* Sorry, I don't think I can... *gulps*)
Spread it out!
Dancing three hours on one day is sure to kill your shins. Look for a way to spread out your classes. If your shins have been bothering you a lot, try to dance no more than an hour a day, and allow yourself a full 24 to 48 hours inbetween.
(Rag. *gulps* Hoods *gulps*)
If you have a block of two to three classes on one day, talk to your teacher and see if you can temporarily switch one of those classes to a different day.
(Osaka. *up-sized gulps*)
Walk Like a Normal Person
All right, how many of us walk around turned out? Or on our toes? If you do, you could be putting strain on the posterior tib even when you're not dancing. Walk with your feet facing forward (yes, zero turnout). Always. You will feel like a penguin, but you'll be a happy penguin without shin pain.
(Bye bye, fat boy walk! *waves handkerchief*)
Watch Out for Killer Floors
They will eat your shins alive! NEVER dance on concrete. NEVER dance on tile.
(Bye bye, AS7. *gulps*)
Doctors and Therapists are NOT Out to End Your Dancing!
I avoided going to the doctor for AGES, because I was afraid they would tell me to stop dancing. But it's really the opposite. Especially with sports med doctors and physical therapists.
Freak, gotta take a better care of this body. Given my outstanding sports career since I was young (which was, and is still, non-existence), I never thought I would ever have any bodily injury from any form of strenuous exercise. Apparently, things have been flipped upside down, so I better take a flipping good care of me now.