First and foremost I just wanna say that the fact that I was motivated to blurt out and ramble on this blog right after I finished watching the episode shows how uninteresting the show was this week. So here's our TOP 4 dancers:
Kayla, Jeanine, Brandon and Evan.
Ade got the boot! SHOCKER... not! I didn't really like Ade in the first place, and ironically regardless of some of his performances being the most memorable routines of the season, the thing that I remember most of him is Nigel's comment saying 'What a difference Ade makes!' Here's the thing: he was indisputably one of the strongest technicians this season, matched (and outshone?) only by Brandon, yet all the same, there's something that bothered me when I watched him dance, especially in his solos, which consequently deterred me from worshiping this 'gentle giant'. Perhaps it was his musicality that was just slightly (read: grossly) off beat, or his never-seemed-to-be-forgotten-to-included-in-his-every-solo back flips (which was awesome when I saw it for the first time, but after having seen it over and over and OVER again, the gentle giant gotta go get a bit more creative).
This brings to me to a very important point: BRANDON AND HIS PHYSICS-DEFYING SOLO. He received standing ovations from all three judges, and Nigel even remarked that his solo was probably the best solo that they had even had on the show. One CRUCIAL point that everybody seemed to miss was that WE HAD SEEN IT BEFORE. It was Brandon's audition item, which I could safely assume that 1) was not choreographed by him and 2) been practiced a gazilion time before he came to audition for the show. Some might argue that this was SO You THINK You Can DANCE, and not So You Think You Can Choreograph (*absurd pause due to sudden memory flash of Kupono's horrible solos* X_X). SO... there was nothing wrong with him recycling some of his good ol' stuff. BUT!!! This is the FIFTH season of Sytycd, the benchmark of at least my expectation was astronomically high!!! Come on! Let the environmentalists do the recycling! Those in the CREATIVE industry should just simply CREATE! Furthermore, they had been doing the show for so long, didn't some of these dancers realise that they should have a couple of solos thought of in advance before they embarked on the Sytycd journey? This is (though self-acclaimed) the BEST DANCE SHOW on television I'm talking about! No excuses allowed!
News just in! Flashed in the last few seconds of the episode was a line that went:
'The dance pairings and styles were randomly assigned.'
YEAH, RIGHT! SURE! TOTALLY! Melissa getting the very first ballet routine on the show? Coincidence. Katee and Will being paired together to perform the very first pas de deux on the show? Coincidence. Ade and Melissa getting the breast cancer routine? Coincidence. That's a lot of coincidences for one show. Can you really buy that statement now???
While I'm on the subject of Melissa and breast cancer, let me just comment that she really really REALLY looked like a cancer patient in Tyce's routine, in a funny and uncanny kinda way. Seriously. Her flat torso (please note the euphemism here) and the head scarf truely hit the jackpot in making her looked like a cancer-wrought patient. Don't get me wrong! I'm not being sarcatic about it, and the item was in totality very well performed. So kudos for Melissa and Ade!
Now, who's gonna step in Joshua's shoes and be crowned America's favorite dancer???
I'm rooting for Kayla! Though as I have said before, Jeanine would probably get the title because she's more likable. I'm fine as long as it's not EVAN. Some justice please! America, please, do not make this show a pity contest.
Anyway, I'm quite excited for the finals. Heard Mia, Wade, Sonya and Tyce are choreographing. Hope they keep those creative juices flowing! Until then,
Ciao!
Kayla, Jeanine, Brandon and Evan.
Ade got the boot! SHOCKER... not! I didn't really like Ade in the first place, and ironically regardless of some of his performances being the most memorable routines of the season, the thing that I remember most of him is Nigel's comment saying 'What a difference Ade makes!' Here's the thing: he was indisputably one of the strongest technicians this season, matched (and outshone?) only by Brandon, yet all the same, there's something that bothered me when I watched him dance, especially in his solos, which consequently deterred me from worshiping this 'gentle giant'. Perhaps it was his musicality that was just slightly (read: grossly) off beat, or his never-seemed-to-be-forgotten-to-included-in-his-every-solo back flips (which was awesome when I saw it for the first time, but after having seen it over and over and OVER again, the gentle giant gotta go get a bit more creative).
This brings to me to a very important point: BRANDON AND HIS PHYSICS-DEFYING SOLO. He received standing ovations from all three judges, and Nigel even remarked that his solo was probably the best solo that they had even had on the show. One CRUCIAL point that everybody seemed to miss was that WE HAD SEEN IT BEFORE. It was Brandon's audition item, which I could safely assume that 1) was not choreographed by him and 2) been practiced a gazilion time before he came to audition for the show. Some might argue that this was SO You THINK You Can DANCE, and not So You Think You Can Choreograph (*absurd pause due to sudden memory flash of Kupono's horrible solos* X_X). SO... there was nothing wrong with him recycling some of his good ol' stuff. BUT!!! This is the FIFTH season of Sytycd, the benchmark of at least my expectation was astronomically high!!! Come on! Let the environmentalists do the recycling! Those in the CREATIVE industry should just simply CREATE! Furthermore, they had been doing the show for so long, didn't some of these dancers realise that they should have a couple of solos thought of in advance before they embarked on the Sytycd journey? This is (though self-acclaimed) the BEST DANCE SHOW on television I'm talking about! No excuses allowed!
News just in! Flashed in the last few seconds of the episode was a line that went:
'The dance pairings and styles were randomly assigned.'
YEAH, RIGHT! SURE! TOTALLY! Melissa getting the very first ballet routine on the show? Coincidence. Katee and Will being paired together to perform the very first pas de deux on the show? Coincidence. Ade and Melissa getting the breast cancer routine? Coincidence. That's a lot of coincidences for one show. Can you really buy that statement now???
While I'm on the subject of Melissa and breast cancer, let me just comment that she really really REALLY looked like a cancer patient in Tyce's routine, in a funny and uncanny kinda way. Seriously. Her flat torso (please note the euphemism here) and the head scarf truely hit the jackpot in making her looked like a cancer-wrought patient. Don't get me wrong! I'm not being sarcatic about it, and the item was in totality very well performed. So kudos for Melissa and Ade!
Now, who's gonna step in Joshua's shoes and be crowned America's favorite dancer???
I'm rooting for Kayla! Though as I have said before, Jeanine would probably get the title because she's more likable. I'm fine as long as it's not EVAN. Some justice please! America, please, do not make this show a pity contest.
Anyway, I'm quite excited for the finals. Heard Mia, Wade, Sonya and Tyce are choreographing. Hope they keep those creative juices flowing! Until then,
Ciao!