Let's 'pontificate on the preferences of the population!'
Ohhh... My freaking goodness! Lil C was back judging on the panel! I got chills of disgust running down my spine tthe second I saw him. I told myself that, 'Jesus! He's probably gonna take out his hidden dictionary during breaks or in the middle of routine, flip to any page, and take the longest, most outlandish word he can find, and use it in his critique.' I could not believe that Nigel Lythgoe had the audacity to actually bring him back after Lil C's catastrophic performance in the beginning of the season. FORTUNATELY though, the Gestapo I sent to rob him off of his dictionaries and burn them succeeded! Finally, he talked like a sane person, although still I skipped most of his comments. You could actually tell that the dancers were not paying much attention to him. They were all rolling their eyes (and heads), stoning and flashing patronising smiles when it was Lil C's turn.
Anyway, the show was a flat night! The judges again painstakingly and tirelessly tried to remind and convince the audience that they had selected the best top 20 ever. Honestly if anybody got it wrong this season, they did. I still bear grudges for their utterly idiotic stunt of cutting Natalie Reid (whom I just adore!) during Vegas week. It was no question since the very start that Brandon was gonna hit it to the finale. Everybody who in his or her right mind followed the show closely would have been able to say that obvious fact without even the slightest hesitation whatsoever. So to hear him saying that he did not have the confidence that he was a good dancer was just downright bullshit. Fishing for compliments by being modest is he?
Kayla, Kayla, Kayla. She's still my delicate white Russian goddess, but this week it was flipping in-you-face that the judges so wanted her to be in the finals. If you paid really close attention, Cat Deeley asked some unimportant questions to Kayla once she had danced her solo (which was just a queue reel of tricks), and soon afterward our dearly beloved hostess cast this surreptitious, slightly apologetic glance in Nigel's direction, which kinda signalled: 'Hey, I DID try to give her more air time and make her interesting, but a robot that she is would just go no where.' Kayla's reply was horribly BO-HO-RING, almost felt as is it was scripted (and badly done at that too). I really think they forgot to put in the bubbly/likable chip when they did her wiring in the womb. Sigh, which is such a downer! And to watch the pathetic attempt the show took to make her more likable! Ahhh!!! Nothing smells like the stench of frantic desperation. Come on now! Wasn't it BLATANT? Her getting more difficult moves during the superhero routine? Her getting contemporary together with Brandon? Nigel's overly excited reaction to the disco routine? Mary's comment saying that 'we should not vote single-handedly based on one week's routine, but on the whole series of performances counting all the way back to the auditions' (or to put the underlying message to the forefront bluntly: AMERICA, DON'T VOTE MELISSA JUST BECAUSE SHE HAD FLAT BODICE AND LOOKED REALLY LIKE A CANCER PATIENT LAST WEEK, PLEASE CHANNEL UR MONEY TO PUT OUR YOUTHFUL DANCERS a.k.a KAYLA AND JEANINE IN THE FINALS!)?
Still think the show is a fair competition? Three words: Melissa, Evan, Quickstep.
Anyway, speaking of Kayla magnificence on the dance floor, I gotta say that Lil C actually made some sense in his comments this week (SHOCKER!). He said that Kayla was such a GINOR-mous beast and that all her partners (with an exception of Brandon) had been dwarfed dancing next to her. THIS IS 100% TRUE TRUE TRUE. Perhaps she wasn't as much a giant as Cat Deeley was, but when she flipped, twirled and pranced through that stage, her lines went FOREVER and EVER. LOVE THIS THING ABOUT HER.
Talking about Snow White (Kayla, of course) makes me think of dwarfs, which then makes me think of Evan. Evan, Evan, Evan. When I first saw him during the auditions, I thought that he was an OK dancer AND... he looked 'normal size'. As he progressed on in the competition, gradually and evidently I felt that he grew shorter and shorter and shorter, and now he's like 10 inches-tall. As much as I dislike him and his style, and his goofy smirk, and his sympathy-drawing personality, he has (at least for the past 2 weeks) been showing lovable personality on the show. If by some divine intervention he managed to stay and get into the finale, I would not be surprised. Nothing surprises me anymore to tell you the truth. It was kinda hard to really get into anyone this season, so I (and everybody else who is also guilty as charged) ended up liking the item more that I like the dancers.
Now, let us 'pontificate' the dancing!
Best dance of the night: Kayla and Brandon - Contemporary
Best solo: Brandon (DUH!!!)
Worst dancer of the night: A-DAY. (Hey, at least Evan had different nuances in his dinky expression, Ade just can't roll his hip.)
My pick for the win? Jeanine, though I hope Kayla does. Here's the thing: Jeanine is so REAL, that I want Jeanine to be my dance instructor! She's that endearing. Her solos (and I've said this once and again) really had great musicality, unlike Kayla who relentlessly spammed 100 crazy-ass moves in those 30 seconds. Jeanine's solos had that appeal which kinda piqued your interest and made you go, 'Ough, I wanna learn how to do that.' In addition, she's got that (hmm... how did Nigel put it? Oh!) 'talent which she just can't hide'. *evil grin*
All the same, SO You THINK You Can DANCE Season 5 has not been memorable. Tonight's results night. Hope there'll be a group video showing more of the dancers' personalities. Hope Cat Deeley suddenly rips her dress, or Nigel turns brunette, or Mary appears with no make-up on, or SOMETHING! I just need a bit more punch from the show now. Until tonight,
Ciao!
Ohhh... My freaking goodness! Lil C was back judging on the panel! I got chills of disgust running down my spine tthe second I saw him. I told myself that, 'Jesus! He's probably gonna take out his hidden dictionary during breaks or in the middle of routine, flip to any page, and take the longest, most outlandish word he can find, and use it in his critique.' I could not believe that Nigel Lythgoe had the audacity to actually bring him back after Lil C's catastrophic performance in the beginning of the season. FORTUNATELY though, the Gestapo I sent to rob him off of his dictionaries and burn them succeeded! Finally, he talked like a sane person, although still I skipped most of his comments. You could actually tell that the dancers were not paying much attention to him. They were all rolling their eyes (and heads), stoning and flashing patronising smiles when it was Lil C's turn.
Anyway, the show was a flat night! The judges again painstakingly and tirelessly tried to remind and convince the audience that they had selected the best top 20 ever. Honestly if anybody got it wrong this season, they did. I still bear grudges for their utterly idiotic stunt of cutting Natalie Reid (whom I just adore!) during Vegas week. It was no question since the very start that Brandon was gonna hit it to the finale. Everybody who in his or her right mind followed the show closely would have been able to say that obvious fact without even the slightest hesitation whatsoever. So to hear him saying that he did not have the confidence that he was a good dancer was just downright bullshit. Fishing for compliments by being modest is he?
Kayla, Kayla, Kayla. She's still my delicate white Russian goddess, but this week it was flipping in-you-face that the judges so wanted her to be in the finals. If you paid really close attention, Cat Deeley asked some unimportant questions to Kayla once she had danced her solo (which was just a queue reel of tricks), and soon afterward our dearly beloved hostess cast this surreptitious, slightly apologetic glance in Nigel's direction, which kinda signalled: 'Hey, I DID try to give her more air time and make her interesting, but a robot that she is would just go no where.' Kayla's reply was horribly BO-HO-RING, almost felt as is it was scripted (and badly done at that too). I really think they forgot to put in the bubbly/likable chip when they did her wiring in the womb. Sigh, which is such a downer! And to watch the pathetic attempt the show took to make her more likable! Ahhh!!! Nothing smells like the stench of frantic desperation. Come on now! Wasn't it BLATANT? Her getting more difficult moves during the superhero routine? Her getting contemporary together with Brandon? Nigel's overly excited reaction to the disco routine? Mary's comment saying that 'we should not vote single-handedly based on one week's routine, but on the whole series of performances counting all the way back to the auditions' (or to put the underlying message to the forefront bluntly: AMERICA, DON'T VOTE MELISSA JUST BECAUSE SHE HAD FLAT BODICE AND LOOKED REALLY LIKE A CANCER PATIENT LAST WEEK, PLEASE CHANNEL UR MONEY TO PUT OUR YOUTHFUL DANCERS a.k.a KAYLA AND JEANINE IN THE FINALS!)?
Still think the show is a fair competition? Three words: Melissa, Evan, Quickstep.
Anyway, speaking of Kayla magnificence on the dance floor, I gotta say that Lil C actually made some sense in his comments this week (SHOCKER!). He said that Kayla was such a GINOR-mous beast and that all her partners (with an exception of Brandon) had been dwarfed dancing next to her. THIS IS 100% TRUE TRUE TRUE. Perhaps she wasn't as much a giant as Cat Deeley was, but when she flipped, twirled and pranced through that stage, her lines went FOREVER and EVER. LOVE THIS THING ABOUT HER.
Talking about Snow White (Kayla, of course) makes me think of dwarfs, which then makes me think of Evan. Evan, Evan, Evan. When I first saw him during the auditions, I thought that he was an OK dancer AND... he looked 'normal size'. As he progressed on in the competition, gradually and evidently I felt that he grew shorter and shorter and shorter, and now he's like 10 inches-tall. As much as I dislike him and his style, and his goofy smirk, and his sympathy-drawing personality, he has (at least for the past 2 weeks) been showing lovable personality on the show. If by some divine intervention he managed to stay and get into the finale, I would not be surprised. Nothing surprises me anymore to tell you the truth. It was kinda hard to really get into anyone this season, so I (and everybody else who is also guilty as charged) ended up liking the item more that I like the dancers.
Now, let us 'pontificate' the dancing!
Best dance of the night: Kayla and Brandon - Contemporary
Best solo: Brandon (DUH!!!)
Worst dancer of the night: A-DAY. (Hey, at least Evan had different nuances in his dinky expression, Ade just can't roll his hip.)
My pick for the win? Jeanine, though I hope Kayla does. Here's the thing: Jeanine is so REAL, that I want Jeanine to be my dance instructor! She's that endearing. Her solos (and I've said this once and again) really had great musicality, unlike Kayla who relentlessly spammed 100 crazy-ass moves in those 30 seconds. Jeanine's solos had that appeal which kinda piqued your interest and made you go, 'Ough, I wanna learn how to do that.' In addition, she's got that (hmm... how did Nigel put it? Oh!) 'talent which she just can't hide'. *evil grin*
All the same, SO You THINK You Can DANCE Season 5 has not been memorable. Tonight's results night. Hope there'll be a group video showing more of the dancers' personalities. Hope Cat Deeley suddenly rips her dress, or Nigel turns brunette, or Mary appears with no make-up on, or SOMETHING! I just need a bit more punch from the show now. Until tonight,
Ciao!