Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Pilot!


Here comes SO You Think YOU Can DANCE Season 5! 20 completely new dancers have been selected a couple of months ago, and now we are down to the final 8. Can you believe it? The season is almost done, but I somehow do not have any significant bits of it imprinted in my memory. This is unlike last season where even in week 1, I was already hit in the face by Katee and Joshua with their emotion-laden hip hop number 'No Air', choreographed by Nappytabs. This then was followed with 'Bleeding Love' and the samba by (again!) Katee and Joshua, and other great things: Twitchington, the bed routine, the door routine, Kate and Josh's Mia's (two of them) and Wade's, and of course Bollywood! (just to name a few). However this season, the judges were excited about their selects, but I cannot help myself but to disagree. I so want me to love this season so much, but I am just somewhat not feeling the connection.

Okay, let's fast forward this to now, TOP 8 couples: Janette, Jeanine, Kayla, Melissa, Ade, Brandon, Evan and Jason. (Truth be told, it took me some time to conjure up their names in my head, which just to shows how UNmemorable they are) First of all, I'm throwing a party of the season because at last that effeminate cry baby who-by-the-way-was-not-technically-strong KUPONO got ousted last week.

WHAT WERE THE JUDGES THINKING WHEN THEY CHOSE HIM?


Whoa... (I got excited.) That was the same thing that I wanna say about Jonathan (the puppy face of a salsa dancer who according to Mary did better in contemporary than in his own style and, thanks-be-to-God, got kicked out after the HORRIFIC hip hop number earlier this season). My theory is that the judges blew trumpets and threw fire crackers for Kupono so as to keep Kayla out of the chopping block, who after some unfortunate circulation of the universe, ended up pairing with this Hawaiian ADHD lunatic.

Which brings me to the topic: Kayla. She is probably the most technical female dancer this season (second to Brandon who is the Dance Stallion of the season), and she has gotten some of the best items this season: the vampire routine by Sonya Tayeh and the addition routine by Mia. She also never fails to appear right smack in the center whenever there is a group routine on the show, and is the indisputable baby of the judges and the choreographers. Yet, why is it still so painstakingly difficult for me to worship her? I fell on my knees (several times actually) when I watched Joshua, Katee, Twitch, Kherington, Chelsie and even Courtney last season. One answer: This girl's personality is the same as the colour of her hair. Bleached Blonde! No! Nada! She's so vanilla, so blah with capital B! I have not negative sentiments whatsoever against blondes, better still, I think blondes really do have more fun, but Kayla just really needs to have that fun and flaunt a genuine crazy-ass personality up in the air, or otherwise she's gonna jeopardize her supposedly-really-fat chance of getting into the finale. I hope with new partnering, she's gonna step it up. I'm still rooting for her.

Coming back to the remaining seven, to be honest, I really thought the Travis Wall (S2) routine was probably on par with the addiction routine of Mia, but I did not, or could not actually, hop on the Jason and Jeanine (Jeanison as I like to call them) fan base. I certainly adore Jeanine. Her personality is endearing, and at 18, to do the things she does is truly amazing. Perhaps her shine has been eclipsed by the frenzy over hiphopper Phillip, who was her partner before he was cut two weeks ago. So I am still waiting for that extra punch in her to just capture me, because at the moment she's surely inching her way up my list, but the way to the top is long still.

Technique-wise, I do not think Jason is most outstanding contemporary dancer I've ever seen to grace the Sytycd stage, and that's the problem with him. Given the staggering number of 6 male contemporary dancers in the top 20 this season, Jason is no front-runner, in fact, he became somewhat dispensable or forgettable. Fun fact: I heard some snide comments about him being a 'slut' because he's bared some skin once too many times on the show and kissed two girls since the beginning of the season, which I think are UTTERLY HIL-arious!

OK, here's my pick for TOP 4: Janette, Brandon, Jason and Kayla/Jeanine. This has been a long post, will talk more about SO You THINK You Can DANCE more! Hopefully this week's show, which marks the 99th and 100th episodes of the series, will give me back the chills it gave in past four seasons. Until then,

Ciao!